date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:05:44 -0700
from: Jonathan Overpeck <jtoatXYZxyzrizona.edu>
subject: RE: Wahl-Ammann paper and UAZ position
to: "Wahl, Eugene R" <wahleatXYZxyzred.edu>
Hi Eugene - this is good news... I hope. Please contact Steve and see
if we will have "in press" status before the end of the month. He
knows the drill, but also the downside of not being precise. Let me,
Eystein and Keith know as soon as you know. Bit nuts right now,
really appreciate your help.
>Well, as I have understood it in our communications with Steve,
>final acceptance is equivalent to being in press for Climatic Change
>because it is a "journal of record". However, this would need to be
>confirmed to be quite sure.
>If that is the case, then in press is still possible by the end of
>the month. I think.
>Which would be best at this point, for me to write and ask Steve
>this, or would it be better for you to ask? I'm happy to do so, I
>just want to act in the most time-effective and appropriate way.
>I apologize for the fact that it is coming right down to the wire.
>The status right now is that I am waiting for final analytical
>results from Caspar re: Pearson's r and CE results on all the
>scenarios we have done. These results will go in an appendix table
>and I have to write a brief text to go with them for
>contextualization purposes--I already have in mind what I want to
>say. The entire rest of the document is essentially done.
>Steve turned around the change from "in review" to "provisionally
>accepted" within days last December after receiving back the final
>independent re-review (it had been due a month earlier), so I can
>imagine that he could potentially turn around the change from
>"provisional acceptance" to "full acceptance" similarly quickly.
>Please advise about who is best to contact Steve--and if me I will
>get on it today.
>Dr. Eugene R. Wahl
>Asst. Professor of Environmental Studies
>From: Jonathan Overpeck [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
>Sent: Fri 2/10/2006 12:39 PM
>To: Wahl, Eugene R
>Cc: Eystein Jansen; Keith Briffa; t.osbornatXYZxyz.ac.uk
>Subject: RE: Wahl-Ammann paper and UAZ position
>Hi Gene - First the IPCC, then I'll send another email wrt UA Geography
>Based on your update (which is much appreciated), I'm not sure we'll
>be able to cite either in the SOD due at the end of this month
>(sections will have to be done this week, or earliest next week to
>meet this deadline). The rule is that we can't cite any papers not in
>press by end of Feb.
> From what you are saying, there isn't much chance for in press by the
>end of the month? If this is not true, please let me, Keith, Tim and
>Eystein know, and make sure you send the in press doc as soon as it
>is officially in press (as in you have written confirmation). We have
>to be careful on these issues.
>Thanks again, Peck
>>Two quick things...
>>1) Regarding the Wahl-Ammann (WA) Climatic Change paper...Caspar
>>and I are in the very final stages of completing the requirements
>>Steve Schneider set for bringing this paper into full (vs.
>>provisional) acceptance. We have an internal goal of a week from
>>now for resubmission.
>>We have had an equally pressing deadline with Science re: our
>>comment on the vonStorch et al. 2004 criticism of MBH [that was
>>based on an improper (and undisclosed) detrending step], which has
>>taken some extra work to be sure we have our mathematics exactly
>>correct. We have been multitracking on both this and WA, and so far
>>have been quite close to meeting our internal time goals. I feel the
>>week time frame will be fairly accurate.
>>2) I am aware of a position now open at UAZ in the Geography and
>>Regional Development Dept. I think I make a good fit with the
>>position profile--actually quite good--however, I have met
>>roadblocks in geography departments before because my degree is not
>>in geography. Geographers seem to have particular sensitivities to
>>their discipline being "watered down". Also, the geography depts at
>>some research grade institutions (UMN for example) require pretty
> >heavy teaching loads, which makes a nice challenge to keep up with
>>research--don't I know!! And finally, the position is subject to
>>budgetary approval, which makes me wonder if there are significant,
>>deeper budgetary issues that it would be good to know about.
>>Do you have any read on this position and the budget issues? I have
>>a lot of contacts there in climatology/earth system-related
>>areas--including you, Malcolm Hughes, Tom Swetnam, Owen Davis, and
>>also Julio Betancourt of the USGS--which is something that would be
>>considered a strength for this position. From my perspective, the
>>fit would be very good, but I don't want to invest effort in the
>>application process if it is clear that not being a geography PhD is
>>a stopper, or if there is some other significant red flag I should
>>know about. Any thoughts you might have will be welcome.
>>I'll be contacting Malcolm for his read also, and then talk to the
>>Dr. Eugene R. Wahl
>>Asst. Professor of Environmental Studies
>>1 Saxon Drive
>>Alfred, NY 14802
>Jonathan T. Overpeck
>Director, Institute for the Study of Planet Earth
>Professor, Department of Geosciences
>Professor, Department of Atmospheric Sciences
>Mail and Fedex Address:
>Institute for the Study of Planet Earth
>715 N. Park Ave. 2nd Floor
>University of Arizona
>Tucson, AZ 85721
>direct tel: +1 520 622-9065
>fax: +1 520 792-8795
Jonathan T. Overpeck
Director, Institute for the Study of Planet Earth
Professor, Department of Geosciences
Professor, Department of Atmospheric Sciences
Mail and Fedex Address:
Institute for the Study of Planet Earth
715 N. Park Ave. 2nd Floor
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721
direct tel: +1 520 622-9065
fax: +1 520 792-8795