Friday, April 13, 2012

3392.txt

cc: Mike Hulme <m.hulmeatXYZxyz.ac.uk>, hsr@soc.soton.ac.uk, p.m.holligan@soc.soton.ac.uk, thg@soc.soton.ac.uk, gxg@soc.soton.ac.uk, p.weaver@soc.soton.ac.uk, wjg@soc.soton.ac.uk, Michael.J.R.Fasham@soc.soton.ac.uk, e.j.rohling@soc.soton.ac.uk, k.j.richards@soc.soton.ac.uk, Peter.D.Killworth@soc.soton.ac.uk, a.e.kemp@soc.soton.ac.uk, Chris.R.German@soc.soton.ac.uk, pkt@soc.soton.ac.uk, anw@soc.soton.ac.uk, Jochem.Marotzke@soc.soton.ac.uk, w.jenkins@soc.soton.ac.uk
date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 16:28:32 +0100
from: John Shepherd <John.G.ShepherdatXYZxyz.soton.ac.uk>
subject: Re: 1st draft of outline bid
to: Trevor Guymer <Trevor.H.GuymeratXYZxyz.soton.ac.uk>

Trevor
Well spotted. By copy of this I'm asking Mike to delete it, as SOC will
appear as a full partner in association with the University, as we're not
in anyone else's bid, and merit a starring part, n'est-ce pas ??!!

John

At 16:26 07/10/99 +0100, you wrote:
>John
>Thanks for copying the iterations to me. It's looking good. There's a list
>of organisations at the end of Section 3: Additional Contacts. Is this
>going to be deleted? At the moment there's a rather odd reference in it to:
>
>SoC, Adrian New
>
>Trevor
>
>
>>Mike
>> I think your first draft is a fine effort (no major problems at
>>all). I am sending back an edited version (Word 6 format, revision marking
>>switched on), with suggestions for deletions and improvements, which I
>>found was a good way to deal with this sort of job when doing the MillESyM
>>proposal recently. You can accept or reject as you see fit : no offence
>>will be taken.
>>
>> Comments on other issues below
>>
>> Good luck with the next iteration !!!
>>
>> John
>>
>>At 17:32 05/10/99 +0100, Mike Hulme wrote:
>>>Dear All,
>>>
>>>We are proposing the name of the Centre to be the Tyndall Research Centre
>>>for Climate Change Management (a short biography of Tyndall is appended!!)
>>
>> I think this is an excellent suggestion, and I agree 100% with your
>>general approach to the issue. I would simplify to Tyndall Centre for
>>Climate Change Research myself, but shall not blow any fuses on this. Note
>>that there is something called the Tyndall Forum already in existence (I
>>think John Krebs was one of the founders) but I don't see this as a
>>problem : maybe you could even subsume it ! I can dig out more info on the
>>Forum if you don't have it.
>>>
>>>Names for the Advisory Board are tentative. I think we should end up with
>>>a nominal list of about 15 to give the Panel an idea of our thinking.
>>>Additional names and votes please.
>>
>> I would be glad to approach Jan Pentreath (Chief Scientist of the
>>Environment Agency) if you wish me to do so. And someone from the Lamont
>>IRI for Climate Prediction ?
>>
>> Re affiliations, for sequestration (inter alia) we should try to
>>get BGS on board. Has anyone approached them ? I should be happy to speak
>>to David Falvey (the Director) if you wish : let me know.
>>
>>>There is an issue about nuclear energy.
>>
>> You can't ignore it, but should probably not volunteer to do
>>anything much about it. I have inserted some suggested text in the draft.
>>>
>>>
>>>A reminder about CVs and logos.
>>>
>> You should have received the So'ton Univ and SOC logos by now, so
>>please contact me if they haven't arrived. Please use both, and expand to
>>"University of Southampton & Southampton Oceanography Centre" in the
>>various listings (mainly for the avoidance of doubt, but also (we think)
>>to raise the profile of the partnership).
>>
>> That's it for now
>>
>> JS
>>Attachment converted: thg documents:CCC_outline.bid_jgs.doc (WDBN/MSWD)
>>(0000071C)
>
>
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment