Sunday, May 6, 2012

3882.txt

cc: "Jenkins, Geoff" <geoff.jenkinsatXYZxyzoffice.gov.uk>, Ag Stephens <A.StephensatXYZxyzac.uk>, Stephanie Ferguson <stephanie.fergusonatXYZxyzip.org.uk>, Kay Jenkinson <kay.jenkinsonatXYZxyzip.org.uk>, Anna Steynor <Anna.steynoratXYZxyzip.org.uk>, Bryan Lawrence <b.n.lawrenceatXYZxyzac.uk>, "Butt, Adrian (CEOSA)" <adrian.buttatXYZxyzRA.GSI.GOV.UK>, Chris Kilsby <c.g.kilsbyatXYZxyz.ac.uk>, Colin Harpham <c.harphamatXYZxyz.ac.uk>, "Lowe, Jason" <jason.loweatXYZxyzoffice.gov.uk>, "Marsh, AKP (Kevin) - SSTD" <k.marshatXYZxyzac.uk>, "Elkington, Mark" <mark.elkingtonatXYZxyzoffice.gov.uk>, Phil James <philip.jamesatXYZxyz.ac.uk>, Phil Jones <p.jonesatXYZxyz.ac.uk>, Richard Westaway <richard.westawayatXYZxyzip.org.uk>, Roger Street <roger.streetatXYZxyzip.org.uk>, "Callaghan, SA (Sarah)" <S.A.CallaghanatXYZxyzac.uk>, "Dye, Stephen SR (CEFAS)" <stephen.dye@cefas.co.uk>
date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:44:02 +0100
from: David Sexton <david.sextonatXYZxyzoffice.gov.uk>
subject: RE: UKCIP08 SG and UP decisions and actions
to: "Humphrey, Kathryn (GA)" <kathryn.humphreyatXYZxyzRA.GSI.GOV.UK>

Hi,

I have some comments on the language:

I am bit worried that giving the users the chance to vote on terminology
is going to generate ambiguous terms and more confusion.

e.g. for "50% probability level" is more accurately the level at which
it is "as likely to be below this value as above it" rather than "as
likely as not". The difference in the two statements is that the first
implies an inequality, whereas the second implies an equality. The fact
that people are voting for their favourite term and not all agreeing
suggests to me that these terms mean different things to different
people and that implies confusion and ambiguity to me. So I would favour
"50th percentile" because it is accurate, unambiguous, it will have to
be defined in the glossary, and it will force users to appreciate
something about probabilistic projections.

Sir Brian did suggest that it was important to retain "accuracy" in the
terminology and not sacrifice it for the sake of "democracy". I think
that comment should be given a lot of weight.

Cheers, David





On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 11:44 +0100, Humphrey, Kathryn (CEOSA) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks very much for your comments on these decisions. I have made a
> few changes as requested and attach a revised copy for sign off.
>
> Two outstanding issues are the reports titles- UKCIP not keen; and
> whether we give suggestion to the SG for the terminology or give them
> a range and ask them to vote.
>
> On the latter point, I would rather give them suggestions and ask for
> anyone with serious reservations to speak up; I think this will make
> it more likely to gain a consensus decision which I would prefer. If
> there are serious resevations voiced, we can then take a vote. Is
> this ok?
>
> On the former, the title suggestions are from me, based on the
> comments I have received which are attached for info. I have tried to
> bring into account the points about people new to UKCIP08 needing more
> information on what is in each publication; the feeling that the
> Getting Started title doesn't reflect the full purpose of the
> guidance, which is also to give background information on the
> limitations of the scenarios etc; and to bring out that this is just
> for the UK. However I'm happy for UKCIP to try and come up with some
> better ones if they want to have a go; but would need these by Monday
> and I want to get these decisions out for agreement (Geoff needs to
> know his formats for key findings now in particular.).
>
> BTW I have ignored comments on the style of the covers as these were
> agreed months ago and although some of the people who have commented
> are new to the project, I didn't feel the level of feeling was large
> enough to warrant re-opening the issue. The majority of the SG are
> happy with the covers.
>
> Grateful for comments on these issues today.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kathryn
>
>
>
>
> ______________________________________________________________________
> From: Jenkins, Geoff [mailto:geoff.jenkins@metoffice.gov.uk]
> Sent: 25 April 2008 10:09
> To: Stephens, A (Ag); Humphrey, Kathryn (CEOSA); Stephanie Ferguson;
> Kay Jenkinson; Anna Steynor; Lawrence, BN (Bryan); Butt, Adrian
> (CEOSA); Chris Kilsby; Colin Harpham; Sexton, David; Geoff Jenkins;
> Lowe, Jason; Marsh, AKP (Kevin) - SSTD; Elkington, Mark; Phil James;
> Phil Jones; Richard Westaway; Roger Street; Callaghan, SA (Sarah);
> Dye, Stephen SR (CEFAS)
> Subject: RE: UKCIP08 SG and UP decisions and actions
>
>
> OK, but we must remember that the change in frequency of an historical
> event must always be given in probabilistic terms, and this may make
> some statements so vague as to be useless. Take a made up example for
> the 2006 summer heavy rainfall events (Tewkesbury etc). The PDFs show
> that the wettest day of the year can change between -50% to +30%. So
> we could have a statement saying "2003 heavy rainfall events could
> become 20% less frequent by the 2080s, with a range of
> uncertainty between half as frequent and 30% more frequent"
> Cheers
> Geoff
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Stephens, A (Ag) [mailto:A.Stephens@rl.ac.uk]
> Sent: 24 April 2008 21:57
> To: Humphrey, Kathryn (CEOSA); Stephanie Ferguson; Kay
> Jenkinson; Anna Steynor; Lawrence, BN (Bryan); Butt, Adrian
> (CEOSA); Chris Kilsby; Colin Harpham; Sexton, David; Geoff
> Jenkins; Lowe, Jason; Marsh, AKP (Kevin) - SSTD; Elkington,
> Mark; Phil James; Phil Jones; Richard Westaway; Roger Street;
> Callaghan, SA (Sarah); Stephen Dye
> Subject: RE: UKCIP08 SG and UP decisions and actions
>
>
> All,
>
> Regarding the Decisions doc, my only comment is on the
> analogues:
>
> do we need to decide on a subset of analogues/will this depend
> on what the actual results look like/ will we do all of them
> if they work?
>
> I think that the Guidance should include a discussion that
> some people find it useful to refer to historical analogues
> when looking at future conditions and thresholds. The guidance
> can provide a table of what weather conditions characterised a
> given historical event (such as a heatwave) indicating to
> users how they could run the Threshold Detector to look for
> such an event.
>
> I have no other comments.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ag
>
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> From: Humphrey, Kathryn (CEOSA)
> [mailto:kathryn.humphrey@DEFRA.GSI.GOV.UK]
> Sent: 24 April 2008 09:21
> To: Stephanie Ferguson; Kay Jenkinson; Stephens, A (Ag); Anna
> Steynor; Lawrence, BN (Bryan); Butt, Adrian (CEOSA); Chris
> Kilsby; Colin Harpham; David Sexton; Geoff Jenkins; Humphrey,
> Kathryn (CEOSA); Jason Lowe; Marsh, AKP (Kevin) - SSTD; Mark
> Elkington; Phil James; Phil Jones; Richard Westaway; Roger
> Street; Callaghan, SA (Sarah); Stephen Dye
> Subject: UKCIP08 SG and UP decisions and actions
> Importance: High
>
>
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm about to rush out to an all day meeting but knocked up
> some decisions and actions from Tuesday's meeting on the train
> this morning, which are attached along with the minutes. I
> can explain my reasoning but not had time this morning to- so
> apologies if these seem a bit random- they are based on
> comments and some sort of logic. Suggest that you all have a
> look and if there's anything you strongly disagree with let
> the group know, and hopefully we can agree these by close
> tomorrow.
>
> Very quickly- report titles based on series of comments;
> language on most popular user requests and maintaining
> consistency; key findings from Geoff's suggested way forward
> after meeting; website Steph knows all about!
>
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Kathryn
>
> <<UKCIP08 decisions.doc>> <<UKCIP08 Steering Group Users Panel
> minute.doc>>
>
> Kathryn Humphrey
> Climate Change Impacts and Adaptation Team, Defra
> Zone 3F Ergon House, Horseferry Road, London, SW1P 3JR
> tel 0207 238 3362 fax 0207 238 3341
>
>
>
> Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)
>
> This email and any attachments is intended for the named recipient only.
> If you have received it in error you have no authority to use, disclose,
> store or copy any of its contents and you should destroy it and inform
> the sender.
> Whilst this email and associated attachments will have been checked
> for known viruses whilst within Defra systems we can accept no
> responsibility once it has left our systems.
> Communications on Defra's computer systems may be monitored and/or
> recorded to secure the effective operation of the system and for other
> lawful purposes.
> email message attachment
> On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 11:44 +0100, Humphrey, Kathryn (CEOSA) wrote:
> > Hi Kathryn
> >
> >
> >
> > Thanks for the alert of the new date/venue for the launch.
> >
> >
> >
> > In relation to the reports
> >
> >
> >
> > I am happy to leave others with better understanding of the contents
> > to come up with suitable titles but have given a few thoughts below.
> >
> > But I would be keen to see drafts of the back pages for the reports
> > - I recall last time that while the report itself and logo�s were
> > all fine there was a little to and fro-ing on the media release.
> >
> >
> >
> > My top line thoughts on the titles
> >
> > I do support the idea that they should be as simple and concise as
> > possible to aid the general reader.
> >
> > If - when the titles are to be presented just as text - they will
> > always be referred to as UKCIP08 - Climate projections etc then I
> > suggest further reference to the UK scope of
> >
> > the work is not required.
> >
> > Getting Started with UKCIP08 - I do still like - `Dummies Guide to
> > getting the most out of UKCIP08�
> >
> >
> >
> > Cheers Alison
> >
> > Alison Caldecott
> > Climate Change Communications
> > Mobile: 07920 549743
> > Scottish Government
> > 1- G Dockside
> > Victoria Quay
> > Edinburgh EH6 6 QQ
> > Tel: 0131 244 7972
> > Fax: 0131 244 0211
> >
> >
> >
> > ____________________________________________________________________
> >
> > From: Winter GP (Guy)
> > Sent: 15 April 2008 11:39
> > To: 'Humphrey, Kathryn (CEOSA)'
> > Cc: 'Stephanie Ferguson'; Caldecott A (Alison) (CCA)
> > Subject: RE: Launch Venue for UKCIP08, and Report Titles
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Kathryn
> >
> >
> >
> > Titles � Good first go! Need to keep simple but make it clear what
> > each report covers. There are countless permutations but I offer
> > (changes to UKCIP draft shown in red)
> >
> >
> >
> > A) UK Land (as opposed to Marine!) Climate projections for
> > 21st century
> >
> > UK Marine and Coastal projections for the 21st century
> >
> > The UKCIP08 briefing report on UK climate projections for 21st
> > century
> >
> > Getting started with UKCIP08 UK climate projections for 21st
> > century.
> >
> >
> >
> > B) OR � could try 2 lines with general Title then something like
> > Volume 1 � Land Based scenarios
> >
> >
> >
> > UKCIP08 climate scenarios for 21 century
> >
> > Volume 1 - Land Projections
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Ditto -
> > marine and coastal projections(Volume 2??)
> >
> > Ditto -
> > briefing report (Volume 3)
> >
> > Ditto -
> > getting started (maybe should be Volume 1!!)
> >
> >
> >
> > Having started I realise how difficult this is!
> >
> >
> >
> > Guy
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Guy Winter
> > Climate Change Division
> > 1G (North)
> > Victoria Quay
> > Edinburgh
> > EH6 6QQ
> >
> > Tel: 0131 244 0196
> > Fax: 0131 244 0211
> >
> >
> >
> > ____________________________________________________________________
> >
> > From:Humphrey, Kathryn (CEOSA)
> > [mailto:kathryn.humphrey@DEFRA.GSI.GOV.UK]
> > Sent: 11 April 2008 16:25
> > To: Ag Stephens; Barry McAuley; Brian Hoskins; Brian Hoskins;
> > Britton, Nicola (WAG-EPC); Bryan Lawrence; Butt, Adrian (CEOSA); C
> > Goodess; Chris Baker; Chris Kilsby; David Sexton; Debra Heath; Geoff
> > Jenkins; Geoff Jenkins; Gosia Gayer; Humphrey, Kathryn (CEOSA);
> > Jason Lowe; Linda Livingston; Maeve O'donoghue; Maresh, Jennifer
> > (CEOSA); Marguerite Gascoine; Packer, Kathryn (ACC); Phil James;
> > Phil Jones; Phil Newton; Prosser, Havard (WAG-EPC); Rachel Warren;
> > Rob Wilby; Roger Street; Ross Hunter; Rowan Sutton; Sear, Chris
> > (CEOSA); Stephen Dye; UKCIP ; Vicky Pope; Warrilow, David (CEOSA);
> > Winter GP (Guy)
> > Cc: Kay Jenkinson; Stephanie Ferguson; Chris West
> > Subject: Launch Venue for UKCIP08, and Report Titles
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > *******************************************************************
> >
> > This email has been received from an external party and
> >
> > has been swept for the presence of computer viruses.
> >
> > *******************************************************************
> >
> > Dear all,
> >
> > We now have a venue booked for the launch of UKCIP08 which is the
> > London Wetland Centre at Barnes (see
> > http://www.wwt.org.uk/centre/119/visit/wetlandcentre/.html). Date
> > will be 20th November. Joan Ruddock, Minister for Climate Change
> > Adaptation, has agreed to launch the scenarios.
> >
> > On another issue, we have been discussing the titles for the various
> > UKCIP08 reports. Stephanie at UKCIP has kindly done some mock-ups
> > of the front covers with some suggested titles that UKCIP prefer.
> > I'd be grateful for comments/ alternative suggestions if any, for
> > these titles! If you could get back to me before the 22nd that
> > would be great.
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> >
> > Kathryn
> >
> >
> >
> > <<08 cover titles.pdf>>
> > Kathryn Humphrey
> > Climate Change Impacts and Adaptation Team, Defra
> > Zone 3F Ergon House, Horseferry Road, London, SW1P 3JR
> > tel 0207 238 3362 fax 0207 238 3341
> >
> >
> >
> > Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)
> >
> > This email and any attachments is intended for the named recipient only.
> > If you have received it in error you have no authority to use, disclose,
> > store or copy any of its contents and you should destroy it and inform
> > the sender.
> > Whilst this email and associated attachments will have been checked
> > for known viruses whilst within Defra systems we can accept no
> > responsibility once it has left our systems.
> > Communications on Defra's computer systems may be monitored and/or
> > recorded to secure the effective operation of the system and for other
> > lawful purposes.
> >
> > ********************************************************
> >
> >
> >
> > This e-mail (and any files or other attachments transmitted with it)
> > is intended solely for the attention of the addressee(s).
> > Unauthorised use, disclosure, storage, copying or distribution of
> > any part of this e-mail is not permitted. If you are not the
> > intended recipient please destroy the email, remove any copies from
> > your system and inform the sender immediately by return.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Communications with the Scottish Government may be monitored or
> > recorded in order to secure the effective operation of the system
> > and for other lawful purposes. The views or opinions contained
> > within this e-mail may not necessarily reflect those of the Scottish
> > Government.
> >
> >
> >
> > ********************************************************
> >
> >
> >
> email message attachment
> On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 11:44 +0100, Humphrey, Kathryn (CEOSA) wrote:
> > Kathryn
> >
> >
> >
> > Titles � Good first go! Need to keep simple but make it clear what
> > each report covers. There are countless permutations but I offer
> > (changes to UKCIP draft shown in red)
> >
> >
> >
> > A) UK Land (as opposed to Marine!) Climate projections for
> > 21st century
> >
> > UK Marine and Coastal projections for the 21st century
> >
> > The UKCIP08 briefing report on UK climate projections for 21st
> > century
> >
> > Getting started with UKCIP08 UK climate projections for 21st
> > century.
> >
> >
> >
> > B) OR � could try 2 lines with general Title then something like
> > Volume 1 � Land Based scenarios
> >
> >
> >
> > UKCIP08 climate scenarios for 21 century
> >
> > Volume 1 - Land Projections
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Ditto -
> > marine and coastal projections(Volume 2??)
> >
> > Ditto -
> > briefing report (Volume 3)
> >
> > Ditto -
> > getting started (maybe should be Volume 1!!)
> >
> >
> >
> > Having started I realise how difficult this is!
> >
> >
> >
> > Guy
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Guy Winter
> > Climate Change Division
> > 1G (North)
> > Victoria Quay
> > Edinburgh
> > EH6 6QQ
> >
> > Tel: 0131 244 0196
> > Fax: 0131 244 0211
> >
> >
> >
> > ____________________________________________________________________
> >
> > From:Humphrey, Kathryn (CEOSA)
> > [mailto:kathryn.humphrey@DEFRA.GSI.GOV.UK]
> > Sent: 11 April 2008 16:25
> > To: Ag Stephens; Barry McAuley; Brian Hoskins; Brian Hoskins;
> > Britton, Nicola (WAG-EPC); Bryan Lawrence; Butt, Adrian (CEOSA); C
> > Goodess; Chris Baker; Chris Kilsby; David Sexton; Debra Heath; Geoff
> > Jenkins; Geoff Jenkins; Gosia Gayer; Humphrey, Kathryn (CEOSA);
> > Jason Lowe; Linda Livingston; Maeve O'donoghue; Maresh, Jennifer
> > (CEOSA); Marguerite Gascoine; Packer, Kathryn (ACC); Phil James;
> > Phil Jones; Phil Newton; Prosser, Havard (WAG-EPC); Rachel Warren;
> > Rob Wilby; Roger Street; Ross Hunter; Rowan Sutton; Sear, Chris
> > (CEOSA); Stephen Dye; UKCIP ; Vicky Pope; Warrilow, David (CEOSA);
> > Winter GP (Guy)
> > Cc: Kay Jenkinson; Stephanie Ferguson; Chris West
> > Subject: Launch Venue for UKCIP08, and Report Titles
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > *******************************************************************
> >
> > This email has been received from an external party and
> >
> > has been swept for the presence of computer viruses.
> >
> > *******************************************************************
> >
> > Dear all,
> >
> > We now have a venue booked for the launch of UKCIP08 which is the
> > London Wetland Centre at Barnes (see
> > http://www.wwt.org.uk/centre/119/visit/wetlandcentre/.html). Date
> > will be 20th November. Joan Ruddock, Minister for Climate Change
> > Adaptation, has agreed to launch the scenarios.
> >
> > On another issue, we have been discussing the titles for the various
> > UKCIP08 reports. Stephanie at UKCIP has kindly done some mock-ups
> > of the front covers with some suggested titles that UKCIP prefer.
> > I'd be grateful for comments/ alternative suggestions if any, for
> > these titles! If you could get back to me before the 22nd that
> > would be great.
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> >
> > Kathryn
> >
> >
> >
> > <<08 cover titles.pdf>>
> > Kathryn Humphrey
> > Climate Change Impacts and Adaptation Team, Defra
> > Zone 3F Ergon House, Horseferry Road, London, SW1P 3JR
> > tel 0207 238 3362 fax 0207 238 3341
> >
> >
> >
> > Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)
> >
> > This email and any attachments is intended for the named recipient only.
> > If you have received it in error you have no authority to use, disclose,
> > store or copy any of its contents and you should destroy it and inform
> > the sender.
> > Whilst this email and associated attachments will have been checked
> > for known viruses whilst within Defra systems we can accept no
> > responsibility once it has left our systems.
> > Communications on Defra's computer systems may be monitored and/or
> > recorded to secure the effective operation of the system and for other
> > lawful purposes.
> >
> > ********************************************************
> >
> >
> >
> > This e-mail (and any files or other attachments transmitted with it)
> > is intended solely for the attention of the addressee(s).
> > Unauthorised use, disclosure, storage, copying or distribution of
> > any part of this e-mail is not permitted. If you are not the
> > intended recipient please destroy the email, remove any copies from
> > your system and inform the sender immediately by return.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Communications with the Scottish Government may be monitored or
> > recorded in order to secure the effective operation of the system
> > and for other lawful purposes. The views or opinions contained
> > within this e-mail may not necessarily reflect those of the Scottish
> > Government.
> >
> >
> >
> > ********************************************************
> >
> >
> >
> email message attachment
> On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 11:44 +0100, Humphrey, Kathryn (CEOSA) wrote:
> > Dear Colleagues
> > Would appreciate your views on these titles too.
> >
> > I notice there is not any Defra braning on these, even though we
> > fund all this. I would have thought there should be but grateful
> > for Tony/Amber's advice.
> >
> > The climate projections one is OK, but I assume this is UK only so
> > worth putting that in the title.
> > The ones with UKCIP08 in the title are too obscure and rely on
> > people knowing what this means - I think they need something more
> > direct.
> >
> > Kathryn H - are you testing out with marine and coastal flooding
> > colleagues too? EA? What is the process from now in terms of when
> > these are finalised?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Kathryn P
> > ______________________________________________
> > From: Humphrey, Kathryn (CEOSA)
> > Sent: 11 April 2008 16:25
> > To: Ag Stephens; Barry McAuley; Brian Hoskins; Brian Hoskins;
> > Britton, Nicola (WAG-EPC); Bryan Lawrence; Butt, Adrian (CEOSA); C
> > Goodess; Chris Baker; Chris Kilsby; David Sexton; Debra Heath; Geoff
> > Jenkins; Geoff Jenkins; Gosia Gayer; Humphrey, Kathryn (CEOSA);
> > Jason Lowe; Linda Livingston; Maeve O'donoghue; Maresh, Jennifer
> > (CEOSA); Marguerite Gascoine; Packer, Kathryn (ACC); Phil James;
> > Phil Jones; Phil Newton; Prosser, Havard (WAG-EPC); Rachel Warren;
> > Rob Wilby; Roger Street; Ross Hunter; Rowan Sutton; Sear, Chris
> > (CEOSA); Stephen Dye; UKCIP ; Vicky Pope; Warrilow, David (CEOSA);
> > Winter, Guy (SEERAD)
> >
> > Cc: Kay Jenkinson; Stephanie Ferguson; Chris West
> > Subject: Launch Venue for UKCIP08, and Report Titles
> >
> > Dear all,
> >
> > We now have a venue booked for the launch of UKCIP08 which is the
> > London Wetland Centre at Barnes (see
> > http://www.wwt.org.uk/centre/119/visit/wetlandcentre/.html). Date
> > will be 20th November. Joan Ruddock, Minister for Climate Change
> > Adaptation, has agreed to launch the scenarios.
> >
> > On another issue, we have been discussing the titles for the various
> > UKCIP08 reports. Stephanie at UKCIP has kindly done some mock-ups
> > of the front covers with some suggested titles that UKCIP prefer.
> > I'd be grateful for comments/ alternative suggestions if any, for
> > these titles! If you could get back to me before the 22nd that
> > would be great.
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> >
> > Kathryn
> >
> >
> > <<08 cover titles.pdf>>
> > Kathryn Humphrey
> > Climate Change Impacts and Adaptation Team, Defra
> > Zone 3F Ergon House, Horseferry Road, London, SW1P 3JR
> > tel 0207 238 3362 fax 0207 238 3341
> >
> >
> >
> email message attachment
> On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 11:44 +0100, Humphrey, Kathryn (CEOSA) wrote:
> > Thanks for the chance to comment. A few thoughts
> >
> > For the most part the titles are clear and concise and I like them.
> > But...
> >
> > 'Marine and coastal projections...' - is it clear enough what the
> > report will be about? Will it be about the physical environment of
> > marine and coastal areas or will it be about ecosystems, fish
> > populations or even people living on the coast?
> >
> > Not sure 'briefing report' conveys clearly what it is about. Is it a
> > brief report, just a briefing (ie a summary) or a report, and if so
> > then a report on what? If just a report about UKCIP08 generally then
> > maybe just call it UKCIP08
> >
> > Personally I don�t like any of the covers as I see them as too
> > abstract. Perhaps this is intentional to get across the scientific
> > nature of the content and to be more objective but I think it there
> > is a surely some middle ground between polar bears on small bits of
> > ice and a load of pixels. If a picture should tell a thousand words
> > then I've no idea what the thousand words are from these covers.
> >
> > _____________________________________________
> > From: Packer, Kathryn (ACC)
> > Sent: 22 April 2008 15:06
> > To: Hamza-Goodacre, Dan (ACC); Connolly, Catherine (NEE);
> > McDougal, Tony (CD); Lewis, Claire (ACC); Duggan, Catherine (RPA);
> > Gilmore, Amber (CD)
> >
> > Cc: Humphrey, Kathryn (CEOSA); Warrilow, David (CEOSA); Hawley,
> > Clare (ACC)
> > Subject: FW: Launch Venue for UKCIP08, and Report Titles
> >
> > Dear Colleagues
> > Would appreciate your views on these titles too.
> >
> > I notice there is not any Defra braning on these, even though we
> > fund all this. I would have thought there should be but grateful
> > for Tony/Amber's advice.
> >
> > The climate projections one is OK, but I assume this is UK only so
> > worth putting that in the title.
> > The ones with UKCIP08 in the title are too obscure and rely on
> > people knowing what this means - I think they need something more
> > direct.
> >
> > Kathryn H - are you testing out with marine and coastal flooding
> > colleagues too? EA? What is the process from now in terms of when
> > these are finalised?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Kathryn P
> > ______________________________________________
> > From: Humphrey, Kathryn (CEOSA)
> > Sent: 11 April 2008 16:25
> > To: Ag Stephens; Barry McAuley; Brian Hoskins; Brian Hoskins;
> > Britton, Nicola (WAG-EPC); Bryan Lawrence; Butt, Adrian (CEOSA); C
> > Goodess; Chris Baker; Chris Kilsby; David Sexton; Debra Heath; Geoff
> > Jenkins; Geoff Jenkins; Gosia Gayer; Humphrey, Kathryn (CEOSA);
> > Jason Lowe; Linda Livingston; Maeve O'donoghue; Maresh, Jennifer
> > (CEOSA); Marguerite Gascoine; Packer, Kathryn (ACC); Phil James;
> > Phil Jones; Phil Newton; Prosser, Havard (WAG-EPC); Rachel Warren;
> > Rob Wilby; Roger Street; Ross Hunter; Rowan Sutton; Sear, Chris
> > (CEOSA); Stephen Dye; UKCIP ; Vicky Pope; Warrilow, David (CEOSA);
> > Winter, Guy (SEERAD)
> >
> > Cc: Kay Jenkinson; Stephanie Ferguson; Chris West
> > Subject: Launch Venue for UKCIP08, and Report Titles
> >
> > Dear all,
> >
> > We now have a venue booked for the launch of UKCIP08 which is the
> > London Wetland Centre at Barnes (see
> > http://www.wwt.org.uk/centre/119/visit/wetlandcentre/.html). Date
> > will be 20th November. Joan Ruddock, Minister for Climate Change
> > Adaptation, has agreed to launch the scenarios.
> >
> > On another issue, we have been discussing the titles for the various
> > UKCIP08 reports. Stephanie at UKCIP has kindly done some mock-ups
> > of the front covers with some suggested titles that UKCIP prefer.
> > I'd be grateful for comments/ alternative suggestions if any, for
> > these titles! If you could get back to me before the 22nd that
> > would be great.
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> >
> > Kathryn
> >
> >
> > << File: 08 cover titles.pdf >>
> > Kathryn Humphrey
> > Climate Change Impacts and Adaptation Team, Defra
> > Zone 3F Ergon House, Horseferry Road, London, SW1P 3JR
> > tel 0207 238 3362 fax 0207 238 3341
> >
> >
> >
--
David Sexton PhD Climate Research Scientist
Met Office Hadley Centre FitzRoy Road Exeter EX1 3PB UK
Tel: +44 (0)1392 886524 Fax: +44 (0)1392 885681
E-mail: david.sextonatXYZxyzoffice.gov.uk http://www.metoffice.gov.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment