Tuesday, May 8, 2012

3993.txt

date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:40:34 +0100 (BST)
from: Itsuki C Handoh <I.HandohatXYZxyz.ac.uk>
subject: HadCM3
to: Tim Osborn <t.osbornatXYZxyz.ac.uk>

Dear Tim,

I guess you know that HadCM3 does very bad job over the
tropical Atlantic sector. The appauling representation of
the interannual varaibility and its seasonal dependency
could be due to a suppressed seasonal phase-locking structure of the
Pacific ENSO in the model (compared with observational
evidence). We cannot possibly use HadCM3 for seasonal
forecasting over the Atlantic-Europe sector, until this
problem is sorted out. I provoked COAPEC committee members when I
gave a short talk on this issue. Because I didn't get COAPEC core team
job (for seasonal forecast), I no longer intend to directly contribute to
the modification of HadCM3, but will write up a paper on my analysis of
HadCM3 ctrl runs, before I move to Sheffield.

As Adam's pproject would heavily rely on the control runs, I have been
worried about it. We hope that decadal variability produced by the
model is not as poor as the interannual counterpart. I have to work on
decadal modulation of the interannual variabitity, though....

Cheers,

-Itsuki-
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Itsuki C. Handoh, Senior Research Associate,
School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia,
Norwich NR4 7TJ, United Kingdom.
E-mail: I.HandohatXYZxyz.ac.uk
Tel: +44(0)1603-592041 (ENV 01.41B)
Fax: +44(0)1603-591327
WWW: http://www.uea.ac.uk/~e096
Mobile: 07751-513263
--------------------------------------------------------------------


On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Tim Osborn wrote:

> At 21:22 20/10/2003, you wrote:
> >Adam and I are going to discuss tropical Atlantic variability and darkness
> >of HadCM3 conntrol runs, in order to minimise potential overlaps between his
> >and my projects.
>
> Dear Itsuki,
>
> I was intrigued to know what "darkness of HadCM3 control runs"
> means? Could you explain further?
>
> Cheers
>
> Tim
>
>
>
> Dr Timothy J Osborn
> Climatic Research Unit
> School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia
> Norwich NR4 7TJ, UK
>
> e-mail: t.osbornatXYZxyz.ac.uk
> phone: +44 1603 592089
> fax: +44 1603 507784
> web: http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/~timo/
> sunclock: http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/~timo/sunclock.htm
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment