Sunday, May 13, 2012

4214.txt

date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 19:27:35 +0100
from: H�kan Grudd <hakan.gruddatXYZxyzgeo.su.se>
subject: Re: Torne paper
to: Keith Briffa <k.briffaatXYZxyz.ac.uk>

<x-flowed>
Yes, let's make sure that we are in the forefront of this issue.
I realize this is a hot matter from the reactions I've had from a few
people. When I met with Jan Esper in Mallorca a couple of weeks ago, he
and his team of "hungry beavers" talked much about making a tour in the
North to update density series. Tornetr�sk is already updated, so I
think (hope) that I talked them out of it for the moment, but this is
really central for future work: Updating and improving existing
chronologies. Fieldwork in J�mtland and Tornetr�sk is top priority for
me and Bj�rn when snow starts to melt.

H�kan


Keith Briffa wrote:

> Hakan
> this issue is going to become big business scientifically , and
> whatever you (we ) do , we need to work on it on the future.
>
> Keith
>
> At 15:20 08/03/2006, you wrote:
>
>> Hi Keith,
>> this manuscript that I am working on is supposed to be one of four
>> papers in my thesis:
>>
>> I. Grudd, H., Briffa, K.R., Karl�n, W., Bartholin, T.S., Jones, P.D.
>> and Kromer, B. 2002. A 7400-year tree-ring chronology in northern
>> Swedish Lapland: natural climatic variability expressed on annual to
>> millennial timescales. The Holocene 12, 657-665.
>>
>> II. Grudd, H. Manuscript. Tornetr�sk tree-ring width and density AD
>> 500 � 2004: A test of climatic sensitivity and a new 1500-year
>> reconstruction of north Fennoscandian summers. (to be) Submitted.
>>
>> III. Grudd, H., Briffa, K.R., Gunnarson, B.E. and Linderholm, H.W.
>> 2000. Swedish tree rings provide new evidence in support of a major,
>> widespread environmental disruption in 1628 BC. Geophysical Research
>> Letters, 27(18), 2957-2960.
>>
>> IV. Roig, F.A., Le-Quesne, C., Boninsegna, J.A., Briffa, K.R., Lara,
>> A., Grudd, H., Jones, P.D. and Villagran, C. 2001. Climate
>> variability 50,000 years ago in mid-latitude Chile as reconstructed
>> from tree rings. Nature, 410, 567-570.
>>
>> I have Paper II as a near-finished manuscript. Three papers are
>> published and this fourth one will (should) appear in the thesis as a
>> submitted manuscript. According to my supervisors it is important
>> that I have one paper where I am single author. This is a bit rigid
>> and I believe it is old-fashioned thinking, but I have no time to
>> argue with them. The date for defending the thesis is fixed to June 9
>> (2006!) and ten weeks before that date it has to be in a final form.
>> So, end of March is the deadline.
>>
>> I do see the point of what you are saying about being involved and
>> co-authoring this paper. I have no problem what so ever with that and
>> I want to collaborate, but given the time schedule for finalizing my
>> thesis I can not include new analyses in this manuscript. So what to
>> do!?
>>
>> You need to read it and give me some advice. I am sure you will have
>> a lot of comments :)
>>
>> Having it printed in the thesis is not the same as publishing it in a
>> journal: There may be some possibilities in between if we time it right.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> H�kan
>>
>> (at present in Stockholm, Phone 0046 8 674 7591)
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> Professor Keith Briffa,
> Climatic Research Unit
> University of East Anglia
> Norwich, NR4 7TJ, U.K.
>
> Phone: +44-1603-593909
> Fax: +44-1603-507784
>
> http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/people/briffa/

</x-flowed>

No comments:

Post a Comment