Saturday, May 19, 2012

4478.txt

date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 12:03:21 +0100
from: Tim Osborn <t.osbornatXYZxyz.ac.uk>
subject: RE: Meeting to discuss Schweingruber Series [FOI_08-50]
to: "Palmer Dave Mr \(LIB\)" <David.PalmeratXYZxyz.ac.uk>, "Briffa Keith Prof \(ENV\)" <K.BriffaatXYZxyz.ac.uk>, "Mcgarvie Michael Mr \(ACAD\)" <M.McgarvieatXYZxyz.ac.uk>, "Jones Philip Prof \(ENV\)" <P.JonesatXYZxyz.ac.uk>

<x-flowed>
Don't worry Dave, no need to apologise!

I had got confused over exactly what caveat to add regarding the
post-1960 data and posted a caveat that corresponded to a slightly
different data set. So, my fault for telling you that it was ready
for dissemination. I've now modified the webpage to put in the
caveat that actually corresponds to the data that we sent Mann. The
data themselves are unchanged -- at least I had posted the correct data!

Probably best to let McIntyre know that we have modified the webpage
(specifically, the note regarding the data values after 1960). Would
you mind doing that?

Other than giving notice of this modification, I think we're now done
with this request.

Thanks for your help again

Tim

At 11:45 03/10/2008, Palmer Dave Mr \(LIB\) wrote:
>Keith,
>Too late! I was unusually proactive last evening and sent a response
>based on the information received from Tim. Michael has a copy of my
>response. If we have issues/problems, could we identify them asap and
>correct (if possible) in anticipation of a response from Mr. Holland?
>
>Apologies for my 'over-eagerness'!
>
>Cheers, Dave
>
>
> >-----Original Message-----
> >From: Keith Briffa [mailto:k.briffa@uea.ac.uk]
> >Sent: Friday, October 03, 2008 10:12 AM
> >To: Palmer Dave Mr (LIB); Osborn Timothy Dr (ENV); Mcgarvie
> >Michael Mr (ACAD); Jones Philip Prof (ENV)
> >Cc: Goffin Sandie Mrs (SCI)
> >Subject: RE: Meeting to discuss Schweingruber Series [FOI_08-50]
> >
> >Dave
> >please wait a while until we respond here. We need to check a
> >few things
> >Keith
> >
> >
> >
> >At 17:00 02/10/2008, Palmer Dave Mr \(LIB\) wrote:
> >>Gents,
> >>The question is the extent to which the material on the web meets Mr.
> >>McIntyre's request; I am assuming that what is on the web is
> >in fact the
> >>""Schweingruber" series" "...in the form provided to Dr Mann, together
> >>with any relevant meta-data, manuals or literature describing the grid
> >>locations of the series and the method of their calculation."
> >>
> >>If so, I will use the s.21 exemption, information reasonably available
> >>by other means, and direct Mr. McIntyre to the appropriate web page.
> >>
> >>As to Tim's larger point regarding the provision of data 'in
> >response to
> >>requests', a request for data is a request for information like any
> >>other under FOIA or EIR and has to be treated similarly on its merits.
> >>If there is a valid exemption and public interest not to
> >disclose, then
> >>that is what we do; otherwise a requester is entitled to see the data
> >>(and yes, I am aware of the implications for the research
> >community writ
> >>large of this - quite frankly, I am surprised that not more
> >requests of
> >>this nature have been made).
> >>
> >>Cheers, Dave
> >>
> >>
> >> >-----Original Message-----
> >> >From: Tim Osborn [mailto:t.osborn@uea.ac.uk]
> >> >Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2008 4:39 PM
> >> >To: Mcgarvie Michael Mr (ACAD); Briffa Keith Prof (ENV); Jones
> >> >Philip Prof (ENV); Palmer Dave Mr (LIB)
> >> >Cc: Goffin Sandie Mrs (SCI)
> >> >Subject: Re: Meeting to discuss Schweingruber Series [FOI_08-50]
> >> >
> >> >Dear Michael,
> >> >
> >> >our emails crossed! We have placed the data and the available
> >> >information on our website (we already had a page devoted to the
> >> >Schweingruber data). Provided you and Dave think that this
> >meets our
> >> >obligations then we probably don't need to meet to discuss things
> >> >further (till the next request comes in!).
> >> >
> >> >Tim
> >> >
> >> >At 16:28 02/10/2008, Mcgarvie Michael Mr \(ACAD\) wrote:
> >> >>Dear All,
> >> >>
> >> >>The deadline for responding to this request is next Wednesday
> >> >and having
> >> >>just met Dave P about the Data Protection Act request (now
> >all done)
> >> >>there is lack of clarity about what we have or don't have in
> >> >relation to
> >> >>this more recent FOIA request. I do think that maybe we need
> >> >to see if
> >> >>we can get some of us round the table to discuss the matter.
> >> >>
> >> >>The available slots for Dave and I seem to be:
> >> >>Monday 15.30 to 17.00
> >> >>Tuesday 10.00 to 11.00
> >> >>Tuesday 15.30 - 17.00
> >> >>
> >> >>Can you let me know if you can do any of these so that we
> >can quickly
> >> >>discuss and bottom out how to respond?
> >> >>
> >> >>Thanks
> >> >>
> >> >>Michael
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >>Michael McGarvie
> >> >>Director of Faculty Administration
> >> >>Faculty of Science
> >> >>Room 0.22B
> >> >>University of East Anglia
> >> >>Norwich NR4 7TJ
> >> >>
> >> >>tel: 01603 593229
> >> >>fax: 01603 593045
> >> >>
> >> >>m.mcgarvie@uea.ac.uk
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >
> >> >Dr Timothy J Osborn, Academic Fellow
> >> >Climatic Research Unit
> >> >School of Environmental Sciences
> >> >University of East Anglia
> >> >Norwich NR4 7TJ, UK
> >> >
> >> >e-mail: t.osbornatXYZxyz.ac.uk
> >> >phone: +44 1603 592089
> >> >fax: +44 1603 507784
> >> >web: http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/~timo/
> >> >sunclock: http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/~timo/sunclock.htm
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >
> >
> >--
> >Professor Keith Briffa,
> >Climatic Research Unit
> >University of East Anglia
> >Norwich, NR4 7TJ, U.K.
> >
> >Phone: +44-1603-593909
> >Fax: +44-1603-507784
> >
> >http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/people/briffa/
> >
> >

Dr Timothy J Osborn, Academic Fellow
Climatic Research Unit
School of Environmental Sciences
University of East Anglia
Norwich NR4 7TJ, UK

e-mail: t.osbornatXYZxyz.ac.uk
phone: +44 1603 592089
fax: +44 1603 507784
web: http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/~timo/
sunclock: http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/~timo/sunclock.htm


</x-flowed>

No comments:

Post a Comment