Monday, May 21, 2012

4516.txt

cc: Mike Hulme <m.hulmeatXYZxyz.ac.uk>
date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 00:32:18 +0100
from: Wolfgang Cramer <Wolfgang.CrameratXYZxyz-potsdam.de>
subject: Re: AMS-Europe - WP1.3
to: Rik Leemans <Rik.LeemansatXYZxyzm.nl>

<x-flowed>
Another attempt, Rik (I assume all these numbers include travel,
computer and overhead, right?):

WUR Ph.D. student 170000
postdoc PIK 170000
Tim Mitchell 75000
Mark Rounsevell 35000

This adds up to 450k, which I think should be possible to get. The
numbers, as I see them, DO now include travel and equipment, and
overhead of course. As far as PIK is concerned, I use an inverse formula
that gives me person-months from this, plus the other expenses.

What do you think?

Wolfgang

On 03/28/2003 12:54 PM,Rik Leemans wrote:

>I agree with you. But if we include you, we have to exclude Tim, because
>the shares become just too small.
>
>I further do not know, if we can actually use the grant to fund PhD-student
>or that is is only for post-docs. If the latter, the Wageningen fee is
>about 90000 euros a year. I want to have at least a post-doc for 2 years:
>ie 180000, Wolfgang would get the same for Dagmar.
>if we provide Mark Rounsevell with 25000 to provide some land-use scenario
>input, that would leave 65 for you Mike. Unfortuentaly, this does not
>include any travel, equipment, etc.
>I would actuially like to use a dutch PHD-student (who had a 5-year msc
>education) to perform the work. Then the costs come down for me to 160000
>euros for 4 years work of a person. Much more cost effective.
>
>So I am still in doubt how to share, please give suggestions here!
>
>
>
>
> Mike Hulme
> <m.hulme@uea.a To: Wolfgang Cramer <Wolfgang.CrameratXYZxyz-potsdam.de>, Rik Leemans
> c.uk> <Rik.LeemansatXYZxyzm.nl>
> cc:
> 28-03-03 12:22 Subject: Re: AMS-Europe - WP1.3
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Rik and Wolfgang,
>
>I have spoken with Tim Carter also .......... he is not sure at all what
>FEI will be asked to do for WP1.3 (and also very sceptical that ENSEMBLES
>will really make progress in "designer climate information"). I would
>therefore make a stronger argument for a resource person in WP1.3, ~�75k,
>to be able to develop consistent climate information in the Scenarios WD,
>and which will be useful in the other AMS Work Domains. I suggest that
>person be Tim Mitchell here in Tyndall.
>
>As I have said to Carlo, if WP1.3 does not address this - even in this
>basic minimum way - the AMS-Europe project will be a "climate-information
>free zone" - this is not what we want.
>
>Mike
>
>
>At 09:39 28/03/2003 +0100, Wolfgang Cramer wrote:
>
>
>>Rik, thanks for that clarification... I still think we should actually
>>support Tim Mitchell partly through this WP. I am also happy about any
>>involvement of Tim - but I would like Mike's views on whether this makes
>>for a productive addition here.
>>
>>Wolfgang
>>
>>On 28/03/03 09:25, Rik Leemans wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>Dear Mike,
>>>
>>>Sorry to be so little communicative, but things were changing so fast and
>>>
>>>
>I
>
>
>>>did not know how to effectively proceed and simultaneously involve all
>>>
>>>
>the
>
>
>>>necessary player.
>>>I just returned to the office after a day on a very different topic the
>>>World Barley, malt, and Beer conference and saw your mail. Sorry therefor
>>>for my late response.
>>>
>>>When I was asked to coordinate WP1.3 last week, I did not have a clue on
>>>what should go into it. Early this week, therefore I drafted the document
>>>that you saw, which had quite some overlap with the other Wps. This were
>>>
>>>
>my
>
>
>>>preliminary ideas. I still strongly believe that we should do some of the
>>>impacts (from emissions to impacts) in this Wp. Climate is a part of that
>>>but not the only one. For me the innovative part is not only to base the
>>>impact assessment on the quantitative climate scenarios but also on the
>>>qualitative narratives, which help to define resilience, sensitivity etc.
>>>Additionally from a systemic point of view the interactions between
>>>climate, impacts and concentrations are important. This was my main
>>>filosophy in drafting the WPs.
>>>
>>>I also had a call with Tim Carter on his involvement in other project and
>>>learned several thing from him. He was very hesitant to become involved,
>>>although some money for Suzanne for literature review (She did a great
>>>
>>>
>job
>
>
>>>on collecting scenarios information for forestry developments in EU
>>>countries) was always welcome.
>>>
>>>I have also been thinking to involve the IMAGE group a little stronger (I
>>>am not with them any more) but are hesitating because they want to focus
>>>
>>>
>on
>
>
>>>the mititgation strategies.
>>>
>>>I had indeed made the assumption that for the climate scenarios, we
>>>
>>>
>should
>
>
>>>use off-the shell material but I believe that it could be a good idea to
>>>actually grant a little more money into to get some, for impact
>>>
>>>
>assessment,
>
>
>>>important climate variables from the latest runs.
>>>
>>>Brian is organising at 11.00 a telephone conference to discuss the Wps,
>>>
>>>
>Why
>
>
>>>do you not try to be involved in that discussion (I'll give brian a call
>>>
>>>
>to
>
>
>>>invite you as well).
>>>
>>>Rik
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>Hulme
>>>
>>> <m.hulme@uea.a To: "Leemans, Rik"
>>><Rik.Leemans@wur.nl>, alex.haxeltine@uea.ac.uk,
>>> c.uk> mike.hulme@uae.ac.uk,
>>>wolfgang.cramer@pik-potsdam.de, hallegatte@centre-cired.fr,
>>> hourcade@centre-cired.fr, Brian
>>>
>>>
>
>
>
>>>O'NEILL <oneillatXYZxyzsa.ac.at>, naki@iiasa.ac.at,
>>> 27-03-03 17:27 stapelbroek@hetnet.nl,
>>>Rik.Leemans@rivm.nl, "S.E. van der Leeuw"
>>> <vanderleatXYZxyzadoo.fr>,
>>>t.mitchell@uea.ac.uk
>>> cc:
>>>Carlo.Jaeger@pik-potsdam.de, Armin Haas
>>><haas@pik-potsdam.de>
>>> Subject: AMS-Europe -
>>>WP1.3
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>Dear Rik - and other Scenarios WD people,
>>>
>>>Following 24 hours of some confusion - and having talked with
>>>
>>>
>Jean-Charles
>
>
>>>and Wolfgang (I have tried to raise Carlo Jaeger today for
>>>
>>>
>clarification,
>
>
>>>but with no luck, so I am still a little in the dark) - it seems you are
>>>well on track for developing the WP1.3.
>>>
>>>May I therefore make sure you have seen the attached document from me
>>>
>>>
>which
>
>
>>>circulated a week or so ago, concerning the role of climate information
>>>
>>>
>in
>
>
>>>AMS-Europe. I have seen your comment that WP1.3 should *not* be about
>>>climate information - historic and future - and whilst I can agree it
>>>should not necessarily be *primarily* about climate information (although
>>>it could be if AMS wanted it so), then it must at least pay some
>>>
>>>
>attention
>
>
>>>to climate information (otherwise we are *entirely* dependent upon
>>>
>>>
>whatever
>
>
>>>climate information other people and projects may just happen to produce
>>>
>>>
>-
>
>
>>>and as we know, these things rarely happen to conform to people's needs
>>>just by chance!). There seems to be a need to connect the storylines in
>>>WP1.1 and economics of WP1.2, including inter alia stabilisation
>>>
>>>
>pathways,
>
>
>>>with climate information and this connection is likely to be unique to
>>>AMS-Europe (i.e., ENSEMBLES is unlikely to re-orient itself, unresourced,
>>>to do this).
>>>
>>>So this is the main thrust of my short set of notes and I hope that you
>>>
>>>
>can
>
>
>>>consider these when drafting the WP1.3 - which I have not yet seen.
>>>
>>>Best wishes,
>>>
>>>Mike
>>>(See attached file: Climate information in AMS.doc)
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>--
>>----------------------------------------------------------------
>>Wolfgang Cramer, Department of Global Change and Natural Systems
>>Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, PO Box 60 12 03
>>D-14412 Potsdam, Germany, Tel.: +49-331-288-2521, Fax: -2600
>>mail:Wolfgang.Cramer@pik-potsdam.de, www.pik-potsdam.de/~cramer
>>----------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>


--
----------------------------------------------------------------
Wolfgang Cramer, Department of Global Change and Natural Systems
Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, PO Box 60 12 03
D-14412 Potsdam, Germany, Tel.: +49-331-288-2521, Fax: -2600
mail:Wolfgang.Cramer@pik-potsdam.de, www.pik-potsdam.de/~cramer
----------------------------------------------------------------


</x-flowed>

No comments:

Post a Comment