Wednesday, May 23, 2012

4610.txt

cc: k.briffa@uea.ac.uk, wigleyatXYZxyzr.edu
date: Fri, 19 May 2000 17:15:00 -0700
from: Dr Astrid Ogilvie <ogilvieatXYZxyzt.colorado.edu>
subject: Fwd: UEA hit men again
to: p.jonesatXYZxyz.ac.uk

>Dear Phil,

I am sure you will agree that this is pretty bad. Can you and/or
Trevor sort this out (I am writing this from home and don't have
Trevor's email here -could you forward it to him please). Some pretty
grovelling letters of apology will also be due to Tom.

>Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 14:13:30 -0600 (MDT)
>X-Sender: naboatXYZxyzmail.voicenet.com
>To: ogilvieatXYZxyzt.colorado.edu
>From: "Thomas H. McGovern" <naboatXYZxyzcenet.com>
>Subject: UEA hit men again
>Status: RO
>
>Dear Astrid,
>
> Hi and hope all is well at your end- the semester is nearly done, and I am
>off to Norway next week, so all is frantic as ever (no change in short). I
>am writing to ask for help on getting UEA financial people off my case
>again. Yes, I have gotten another really nasty letter threatening all sorts
>of legal action against me personally. I checked with CUNY, and they say
>all debts to UEA are paid long since. And now of course we don't actually
>have the 750 UK pounds they say NABO owes them in the NABO account. I don't
>know if I believe CUNY's accounts or not, but the bottom line is that we
>made every effort to get this bill paid, and there is now nothing left to
>pay with (and I don't have the money myself either). UEA is going to either
>have to admit they were paid, proceed with their legal threats against me
>personally, or (best option) eat the loss (if they actually have one) as
>operating expenses as part what happens when you host major conferences. I
>am ending the NABO grant with many times this amount lost out of pocket, and
>I am not a major research university.
>
> I really don't feel very happy about this, as we did put a hell of alot of
>money into UEA's coffers, and I think this is a lousy way to repay our
>efforts to make a good conference that should have been worth more than 750
>pounds to UEA. If I wind up having to hire a lawyer to defend my family
>against UEA I am really going to be seriously ticked off, as I'm sure you
>would be in my shoes. Can you use your good offices and fine connections to
>get this settled once and for all? Many many thanks!
>
>BEst
>Tom
>Thomas H. McGovern, Prof.
>Bioarchaeology Laboratory
>Anthropology Department
>Hunter College of the City University of New York
>695 Park Ave. NYC 10021 USA
>
>tel: 212 772 5410
>fax: 212 772 5423
>nabo@voicenet.com

No comments:

Post a Comment