Wednesday, May 23, 2012

4611.txt

cc: k.briffaatXYZxyz.ac.uk
date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:53:27 -0500
from: "Michael E. Mann" <mannatXYZxyzeo.psu.edu>
subject: Re: paper in this Friday's Science
to: Tim Osborn <t.osbornatXYZxyz.ac.uk>

<x-flowed>
Tim/Keith,

I've worked up an article for RC to go online when the embargo is
lifted. Will send later when finalized. One issue came up in an
interview w/ a writer at Science, and I didn't know the answer. Is the
shorter reference period you mention in caption of fig 3 really 1865, or
is that a typo (i.e., supposed to be 1856). I couldn't think of a reason
for why the latter date would be used, and guessed that "65" just got
transposed accidentally? Please let me know if you can what the answer
is. Its a minor point, but nice to get things right if possible...

mike

Tim Osborn wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> I am wary of Science's embargo, but I've included the *uncorrected*
> galleys for you to look at. The corrections were only minor wording
> changes here and there (sometimes the copy-editor inadvertently
> changes the meaning!) so it gives you a 99% accurate idea of the whole
> paper. Obviously, please don't pass it on to anyone.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tim
>
> At 15:48 07/02/2006, Michael E. Mann wrote:
>
>> Dear Tim, Keith.
>>
>> Indeed, I'm already getting inquiries. I have the abstract to work w/
>> so I feel I can probably extrapolate a bit. In short, it sounds like
>> you guys sorts of re-did "Soon and Baliunas", but you did it right!
>> The conclusions sound similar to the Bradley/Diaz/Hughes Science
>> perspective from a couple years back, but I take it you were more
>> quantitative and rigorous (e.g. through the definition of appropriate
>> thresholds).
>>
>> Anyway, let me know if you think there is anything else I need to
>> know. Based on the info I have, I feel I'm pretty safe in giving the
>> study a thumbs up in my press interviews.
>>
>> thanks, and congrats on the paper,
>>
>> mike
>>
>> Tim Osborn wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I just wanted to give you advance notice that Keith and I have a
>>> paper appearing in Science on Friday (10th Feb) called:
>>>
>>> "The spatial extent of 20th century warmth in the context of the
>>> past 1200 years"
>>>
>>> I haven't got a copy of the paper to circulate to you yet (due to
>>> Science's embargo) but it is, as you can guess from the title,
>>> related to multi-proxy reconstructions. I will send a PDF as soon
>>> as I have one. In the meantime, I thought I'd let you know if case
>>> any media contact you (I guess this is more likely to be US Media)
>>> because Science has just made an embargoed press release today.
>>>
>>> [Martin & Anders - this is based on the analysis I showed you at the
>>> MITRIE meeting last summer]
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Tim
>>>
>>> Dr Timothy J Osborn
>>> Climatic Research Unit
>>> School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia
>>> Norwich NR4 7TJ, UK
>>>
>>> e-mail: t.osbornatXYZxyz.ac.uk
>>> phone: +44 1603 592089
>>> fax: +44 1603 507784
>>> web: http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/~timo/
>>> sunclock: http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/~timo/sunclock.htm
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Michael E. Mann
>> Associate Professor
>> Director, Earth System Science Center (ESSC)
>>
>> Department of Meteorology Phone: (814) 863-4075
>> 503 Walker Building FAX: (814) 865-3663
>> The Pennsylvania State University email: mannatXYZxyz.edu
>> University Park, PA 16802-5013
>>
>> http://www.met.psu.edu/dept/faculty/mann.htm
>>
> Dr Timothy J Osborn
> Climatic Research Unit
> School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia
> Norwich NR4 7TJ, UK
>
> e-mail: t.osbornatXYZxyz.ac.uk
> phone: +44 1603 592089
> fax: +44 1603 507784
> web: http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/~timo/
> sunclock: http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/~timo/sunclock.htm



--
Michael E. Mann
Associate Professor
Director, Earth System Science Center (ESSC)

Department of Meteorology Phone: (814) 863-4075
503 Walker Building FAX: (814) 865-3663
The Pennsylvania State University email: mannatXYZxyz.edu
University Park, PA 16802-5013

http://www.met.psu.edu/dept/faculty/mann.htm


</x-flowed>

No comments:

Post a Comment