Thursday, June 14, 2012

5141.txt

cc: "Turney, Christian" <C.TurneyatXYZxyzter.ac.uk>, "Hodges, Pete" <p.j.m.hodges@exeter.ac.uk>
date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 15:11:28 +0100
from: "Bass, Catherine" <C.J.BassatXYZxyzter.ac.uk>
subject: NERC AUSTRAL: FW: NERC Consortium rationale and cv template
to: "Cox, Peter" <P.M.CoxatXYZxyzter.ac.uk>, Phil Jones <p.jonesatXYZxyz.ac.uk>, Pierre Friedlingstein <pierre.friedlingstein@lsce.ipsl.fr>, Tim Osborn <t.osbornatXYZxyz.ac.uk>, Keith Briffa <k.briffaatXYZxyz.ac.uk>, Sandy Tudhope <sandy.tudhopeatXYZxyzac.uk>, Gabi Hegerl <Gabi.HegerlatXYZxyzac.uk>, simon Tett <simon.tettatXYZxyzac.uk>, Rob Wilson <rjswatXYZxyzandrews.ac.uk>, Eric W Wolff <ewwoatXYZxyz.ac.uk>, "Sime, Louise C" <lsimatXYZxyz.ac.uk>, Tom Melvin <t.m.melvinatXYZxyz.ac.uk>, "matthew.collins@metoffice.gov.uk" <matthew.collinsatXYZxyzoffice.gov.uk>, Philip Brohan <philip.brohanatXYZxyzoffice.gov.uk>, Philip Brohan <philip.brohan@googlemail.com>, Rob Allan <allarobatXYZxyzglemail.com>

Dear All,



Several things in this email for you all:

1. I am forwarding herewith the overarching rationale sent last week by Chris and now sent
again to the whole group for completeness, I have also added the email with the action
notes from the first residential meeting , and the info re application for HPC ( HECToR)
which may be required with the proposal.



2. We are hoping to have the first drafts of the WPs from the leads on Monday morning
(19th Oct), with CVs and Resources identified. Chris and Peter have asked me to confirm the
indicative resource windows for each of the newly framed WPs were discussed at the meeting
last month:

WP-1 Prioritization of globally significant areas and datasets (Hegerl) �500k

WP-2: Extending historical climate records using observational and proxy data (P. Jones)
�500k

WP-3: Modelling the climate system and controls on proxies (Cox) �500k

WP-4: Synthesis of data generation and modelling (Turney and Brohan) �750k

WP-5: Using the past to constrain future prediction (Tett) �500k

This leaves �250k in hand for project management/dissemination/conferences /meetings/travel
etc - and small overbudgets if they occur.

I have set up the joint JeS forms and will inform your identified research officers of the
reference so agreed costs can be entered in due course.



3. Second residential meeting between Nov 1-4 will be important and I will send you
all a Doodle request later today and would ask you please to indicate/confirm your
availabilities for the dates and times offered. Apologies if this is repetitious for
some, however the circle is now wider. There were considerably more people available on
Monday 2nd than either of the other 2 days, so we are considering getting everyone
together on Sunday evening for a prompt Monday am start. This will be at a new venue and
we shall inform you of the location and accommodation arrangements as soon as possible.



Best wishes,

Catherine








Dr CJ Bass
Research & Knowledge Transfer Manager
Research & Knowledge Transfer
E-mail: c.j.bassatXYZxyzter.ac.uk
Phone: 01392 262398
Fax: 01392 263686
Research & Knowledge Transfer at Exeter is ISO 9001: 2008 accredited
This email and any attachment may contain information that is confidential, privileged, or
subject to copyright, and which may be exempt from disclosure under applicable legislation.
It is intended for the addressee only. If you received this message in error, please let me
know and delete the email and any attachments immediately. The University will not accept
responsibility for the accuracy/completeness of this e-mail and its attachments. The
University cannot guarantee that this message and any attachments are virus free. Any views
or opinions expressed in this message are my own and do not necessarily represent those of
the University.


______________________________________________________________________________________

From: Chris Turney [mailto:turneychris@gmail.com]
Sent: 09 October 2009 06:37
To: lsim@bas.ac.uk; Sandy Tudhope; Phil Jones; Simon Tett; Keith Briffa; Tim Osborn; Gabi
Hegerl; Chris Jones; Rob Allan; Philip Brohan; Tom Melvin; matthew.collinsatXYZxyzoffice.gov.uk
Cc: Bass, Catherine; Cox, Peter; Turney, Christian
Subject: NERC Consortium rationale and cv template
Importance: High

Hi guys,

Please find attached the opening rationale on the NERC Consortium and the cv template for
the proposal. Peter and I have crafted the first few pages. These are by no means the
finished product but I hope will be enough to help the work package leaders pull together
one page summaries of their individual components so we can weave into the main body of the
text. As you'll see, we've settled on sub-headings for each WP as Aims, Science
Opportunity, Research Objectives and Key Methods (drawing on the successful Consortium bid
led by John Lowe). Please use track changes on the document when it is sent back. I've also
attached my cv as a template. Can you please all use the same font setting (Arial, 11 pt),
2 cm margins and sub-headings, and get this to me when done.

We've come up with a new working title with the acronym AUSTRAL for:

Addressing Uncertainty in Southern ocean and Tropical Reconstructions of Atmospheric
Linkages: Using the Past to Constrain Future Climate Change.

We are slightly concerned it sounds to southern focussed for NERC but hopefully this sounds
more sexy than the previous efforts. Any other suggestions most welcome but if push comes
to shove we can have a go when we next get together.

Separately can you also please:

1. agree within each work package the level of resource you need?

2. agree a list of overseas collaborators you would like to work with and a brief
explanation of why. This needs to be tight so we have to make sure everyone will make a
meaningful contribution.

And a big welcome to Louise, Tom and Matthew who have agreed to join the application. The
work package leaders heading up where you will be primarily involved should contact you
soon. Please let me know if you haven't heard anything by mid next week. Catherine Bass
who is helping Peter and I to pull this application together and will contact you next week
to check on your availability in early November for a getaway where we'll thrash out any
remaining issues. Look forward to meeting up soon.

All the best,

Chris
****************************************************
Professor Chris Turney FRSA FRGS
Director of [1]Carbonscape, Fixing carbon the way nature intended
Author of [2]Ice, Mud and Blood: Lessons from Climates Past
Popular science website:
[3]www.christurney.com
[4]Journal of Quaternary Science Asian and Australasian Regional Editor
School of Geography
The University of Exeter
Exeter
Devon
EX4 4RJ
UK
Home page:
[5]http://geography.exeter.ac.uk/geography/people/staff/c_turney/main.shtml
E-mail: [6]c.turney@exeter.ac.uk
Office Tel.: +44 (0)1392 263331
Fax.: +44 (0)1392 263342
****************************************************
Slartibartfast: Science has achieved some wonderful things of course, but I'd far rather
be happy than right any day.
Arthur Dent: And are you?
Slartibartfast: No. Thats where it all falls down of course.
Arthur Dent: Pity. It sounded like quite a good lifestyle otherwise.
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
****************************************************

Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\NERC Consortium Rationale 8 Oct.doc" Attachment
Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\ATT00001.htm" Attachment Converted:
"c:\eudora\attach\Turneycv.doc" Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\ATT00002.htm" From:
"Bass, Catherine" To: "Turney, Christian" , "Cox, Peter" , Pierre Friedlingstein , Sandy
Tudhope , Gabi Hegerl , simon Tett , Rob Wilson , Phil Jones , Keith Briffa , Tim Osborn
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 14:55:30 +0100 Subject: NERC TASOC: HPC provision Thread-Topic: NERC
TASOC: HPC provision Thread-Index: AcpBDIGpUac1jCEfRWuxQfV8eDVbsQ== X-MS-Has-Attach:
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator: Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="_000_6576707973706976736865688079697776807375787779757673766_" MIME-Version: 1.0

Dear All,

I have just spoken with Andy Parsons at NERC re the application process for HPC time within
the consortium bid. The application is included as an attachment to the JeS form, and all
information is here

[7]http://www.nerc.ac.uk/research/sites/facilities/hpc/applying.asp



This is a NERC generated form for access to HeCTOR, 6 pages including a specific 2 pp of
research description to be written for an expert audience, so presumably written by the
relevant Co-I when the project HPC requirement has been defined.



I suggest that we try to have this form drafted for the same deadline as the workpackages,
October 19th.



Catherine





Dr CJ Bass
Research & Knowledge Transfer Manager
Research & Knowledge Transfer
University of Exeter
Innovation Centre
Rennes Drive, Exeter, Devon, UK, EX4 4RN
E-mail: c.j.bassatXYZxyzter.ac.uk
Phone: 01392 262398
Fax: 01392 263686
Times Higher University of the Year 2007/2008
Research & Knowledge Transfer at Exeter is ISO 9001: 2008 accredited
This email and any attachment may contain information that is confidential, privileged, or
subject to copyright, and which may be exempt from disclosure under applicable legislation.
It is intended for the addressee only. If you received this message in error, please let me
know and delete the email and any attachments immediately. The University will not accept
responsibility for the accuracy/completeness of this e-mail and its attachments. The
University cannot guarantee that this message and any attachments are virus free. Any views
or opinions expressed in this message are my own and do not necessarily represent those of
the University.



From: "Bass, Catherine" To: Sandy Tudhope , Phil Jones , Pierre Friedlingstein , Philip
Brohan , Eric W Wolff , Rob Allan , Philip Brohan , Rob Wilson CC: Chris Turney , "Turney,
Christian" , "Cox, Peter" , Gabi Hegerl , simon Tett , Tim Osborn , Keith Briffa , "Hodges,
Pete" Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:28:27 +0100 Subject: NERC TASOC development meeting
Thread-Topic: NERC TASOC development meeting Thread-Index: Aco8MDRdzrO09UrER4Kqp2Ramm2YUw==
X-MS-Has-Attach: yes X-MS-TNEF-Correlator: Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
boundary="_005_7378736573697768727978697271697973656577787678796567717_" MIME-Version: 1.0

Dear All,

Many thanks to you all for making the opportunity to meet up in the last couple of days to
develop the Consortium bid.



On an administrative note, there is an Exeter claim form attached with which to recoup
associated travel expenses not otherwise covered. Please return this to Pete Hodges with
receipts where appropriate ( address as below ).



I have attached the schematic which emerged yesterday to remind you of where we now are in
terms of the WPs.



Some of you volunteered to discuss additional engagement from new partners or nonattendees:

Phil Brohan to invite Matt Collins ( Met Office) to work with Gabi Hegerl on the
methodology/ phenomena WP

Eric Wolff to invite Louise Sime to participate in the Modelling WP ( Isotopes)

Sandy Tudhope to talk with Simon Tett re leading either the modelling or constraining
predictions WPs.

Rob Wilson ? to talk with Tim Melvin re Modelling WP (Trees)



The timetable we agreed is as follows, with a few other dates included to keep us on track:

1. Chris and Peter will circulate the overarching rationale as a 2 -pager by Sept 30.
2. All leads to generate WP drafts ( 2pp) by 9 am Oct 19th in discussion with other
Co-Is . Resources need to be identified ( I will touch base in the interim to accumulate
the resources requests as they emerge and liaise with your research offices)
3. All 2 pp CVs to be supplied by Oct 19th
4. O/seas project partners to agree commitment by Oct I9th - suggest liaison between
yourselves as to who contacts which partners.
5. Full draft of Case for Support will be collated and circulated to all partners Oct 26th
in advance of the next meeting.
6. Draft costs collated from all ROs Oct 26th
5. Next mtg between Nov 2 & 4 as previously agreed . Majority of participants are
available. We will arrange whatever vid con / telecon is necessary to ensure
participation for those absolutely unable to attend in person.

I hope most of this sounds familiar,

Best wishes, Catherine

Dr CJ Bass
Research & Knowledge Transfer Manager
Research & Knowledge Transfer
University of Exeter
Innovation Centre
Rennes Drive, Exeter, Devon, UK, EX4 4RN
E-mail: c.j.bassatXYZxyzter.ac.uk
Phone: 01392 262398
Fax: 01392 263686
Times Higher University of the Year 2007/2008
Research & Knowledge Transfer at Exeter is ISO 9001: 2008 accredited
This email and any attachment may contain information that is confidential, privileged, or
subject to copyright, and which may be exempt from disclosure under applicable legislation.
It is intended for the addressee only. If you received this message in error, please let me
know and delete the email and any attachments immediately. The University will not accept
responsibility for the accuracy/completeness of this e-mail and its attachments. The
University cannot guarantee that this message and any attachments are virus free. Any views
or opinions expressed in this message are my own and do not necessarily represent those of
the University.



Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\Copy of Expenses-non-staff-singleentry_000.xls"
Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\New model.ppt"

No comments:

Post a Comment