Friday, June 15, 2012

5206.txt

date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 14:24:01 +0100
from: F IAN WOODWARD <F.I.WoodwardatXYZxyzffield.ac.uk>
subject: Re: trees
to: Keith Briffa <k.briffaatXYZxyz.ac.uk>

> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 13:41:05 +0100
> To: F IAN WOODWARD <F.I.WoodwardatXYZxyzffield.ac.uk>
> From: Keith Briffa <k.briffaatXYZxyz.ac.uk>
> Subject: Re: trees

Dear Keith,

Many thanks for the rapid response.

>
> Ian
> I have just come back from Switzerland - trying to convince Schweingruber
> (and Koerner) that the incresing basal area story is real. I have not
> therefore sent off my paper but I am literally at my desk writing it. For
> obvious reasons I am a little worried about the precise content as most of
> the story (some reconstructions , the volcano story, the temperature signal
> drift - and above all, the basal area study ) are all unpublished.
> I am awaiting news of the temperature/growth drift from Nature and I
> think I can show some basal stuff which will not compromise a submission to
> Nature on this - the rest I don't mind about. This is not just
> prevarication but I am now nearly through and will get off what will be a
> relly uptodate contribution which I would have thought preferable to an old
> hat submission! Please therefore support my reasons for tardiness and
> intervene on my behalf with Bill Chaloner and The Royal Society. I will get
> this off very soon now! So what do you say - feel free to pass on this plea
> to the others.

I would prefer any ms that was not old hat and, clearly you would
have to reduce rather from your oral presentation anyway. Nearly
through probably sounds good enough for me, and so I hope that this
means, at the most, a couple of weeks.

> As for your second point - I can get someone to order some corers from
> Sweden and get them to you faster than we can get them from an American
> supplier. You would have to pay them pretty sharply though. What size trees
> do you have in mind? The corers are about 100 pounds or a bit less if small
> - say 30 cms. I'll find out more details if you want me to. I can't really
> let you have anything from here because all the decent ones went to
> Ethiopia with a colleague of mine - but some may be back in a few weeks if
> you can wait that long.
>

Yes, I am talking about 30 cms, and I will be quite happy to pay 100
pounds or so, I wasn't making an unsubtle attempt to borrow yours!
So I would greatly appreciate details, or an immediate order, or
similar, thanks in advance.

With best wishes,

Ian




> get back to me and also put my mind at ease on the paper - please
>
> the best to you
> Keith
>
>
>
> At 13:10 23/06/97 +0100, you wrote:
> >Dear Keith,
> >
> >Two issues.
> >
> >The first, I hope that you have now sent your paper re the Royal
> >Society meeting to Janet Clifford at the Royal Society.
> >
> >The second is more interesting. Could you tell me where I can
> >purchase a tree corer? I would like to be able to age birch trees,
> >probably up to an age of at most 80 to 100 years. Any ideas?
> >
> >
> >With best wishes,
> >
> >Ian
> >
> >Professor F. Ian Woodward
> >Dept. of Animal & Plant Sciences,
> >University of Sheffield,
> >Sheffield,
> >S10 2TN,
> >UK
> >
> >Tel.: +44 (0)114 22 24374
> >Fax.: +44 (0)114 27 60159
> >Email: F.I.WoodwardatXYZxyzffield.ac.uk
> >
> --
> Dr. Keith Briffa, Climatic Research Unit, University of East Anglia,
> Norwich, NR4 7TJ, United Kingdom
> Phone: +44-1603-592090 Fax: +44-1603-507784
>
>
Professor F. Ian Woodward
Dept. of Animal & Plant Sciences,
University of Sheffield,
Sheffield,
S10 2TN,
UK

Tel.: +44 (0)114 22 24374
Fax.: +44 (0)114 27 60159
Email: F.I.WoodwardatXYZxyzffield.ac.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment