Sunday, June 17, 2012


date: Wed May 13 17:42:25 2009
from: Tim Osborn <>
subject: Fwd: Visit to CRU after EGU? NEED TO CANCEL DUE TO BUDGET
to: Tim Osborn <>

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:14:58 -0700
From: Eugene Wahl <>
To: Tim Osborn <>
User-Agent: Thunderbird (Windows/20081209)
X-Canit-CHI2: 0.00
X-Bayes-Prob: 0.0001 (Score 0, tokens from: @@RPTN, f055)
X-Spam-Score: 0.00 () [Hold at 5.00] HTML_MESSAGE,SPF(none,0)
X-CanItPRO-Stream: UEA:f055 (inherits from UEA:default,base:default)
X-Canit-Stats-ID: 17687833 - 2819ba7356c8 (trained as not-spam)
X-Antispam-Training-Spam: [3]
X-Scanned-By: CanIt (www . roaringpenguin . com) on
Hi Tim:
I heard from on high in the organization here today that my trip plans to come to the UK
need to be let go, due to the budget issues I mentioned below. Evidently the
uncertainty was larger than I imagined. I apologize for any inconvenience this might
cause you, and hope possibly that some time a visit will be possible. I am still very
interested in the entire topic of characterizing and reducing uncertainty in field
reconstructions, to any extent you might want to work on this jointly.
Peace, Gene

Eugene Wahl wrote:

Hi Tim:
Last September you and I had communication about the graphic you created for IPCC Fig
6:10c. As part of this you mentioned an invitation to come to Norwich if I am in
Europe. Well, I would be very grateful to take you up on the invitation, as I expect to
be attending the EGU in later April. In that light, I'm curious to know if a visit
there might be feasible from either say 25 April to 1 May, right after EGU, or
alternatively from 3 May to 8 May.
The idea I have in mind for this visit would be to do some thinking/working with you on
the characterization and reduction of uncertainty in reconstructing full climate fields,
as we had talked about in an email exchange (I think) last summer. Of course, I would
also be keen to bring Phil and Keith (and others there I may not be aware of) into this
as they might wish. Additionally, I think it might be useful to consider the
possibility of any strengthening of ties between CRU and NOAA-Paleoclimatology that we
might want to pressure there just the general thought.
Let me know what you think, I'm working now to get the details "ironed out" so that
travel and lodging can be arranged. Given that the federal government here still does
not have a budget for Fiscal Year 2009 (10/1/2008-9/30/2009) -- politics are very
fractious -- there is a bit of uncertainty as to whether I will get the funding for this
trip overall. However, my superiors are asking me to move ahead -- I also expect to
visit with Juerg Luterbacher after my time in the UK, and then to the ESF meeting at
Kippel CH in mid-May -- so that is a positive sign.
Hope you are well. Winter has been mild here along the eastern front of the Rockies in
N America. How about there for you? Give my best to Phil and Keith also.
Peace, Gene

Dr. Eugene R. Wahl

Physical Scientist
NOAA/NESDIS/NCDC/Paleoclimate Branch

325 Broadway Street
Boulder, CO 80305

PHONE: 303-497-6297
FAX: 303-497-6513

No comments:

Post a Comment